Get That Look: 10 Best Hair Looks at The Met Gala 2019
The Met Gala made its annual return that is hosted to benefit the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute, while marking the opening of their annual fashion exhibition. Like Fashion Week, the Oscars, and Grammys, Dyson collaborated with celebrity hair stylists who were doing hair for some of Hollywood’s biggest stars at the Met Gala.
This year, the leading stylists designed hair looks for Kim Kardashian West, Lupita Nyong’o, Gwyneth Paltrow, Bella Hadid, Gemma Chan, Solange, Hailey Bieber, Alicia Keys, Camila Mendes and Camila Coelho.
HOW TO (By Chris Appleton for Kim Kardashian West)
- STEP 1: Prep damp hair with Color Wow Dream Coat Anti-Humidity Hair Treatment to create a strong base and add shine. It’s important to use on damp hair and apply the product in sections to ensure that the hair is completely saturated. Then blow dry the hair to create a smooth finish using the Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition with the concentrator attachment on medium heat and medium speed for a fast and controlled blowout.
- STEP 2: Once the hair is dry, Clip in the Glam Seamless Invisi-Weft 16”, starting at the nape and going up to the temples to add extra length.
- STEP 3: Working in sections, apply the Color Wow Pop & Lock Gloss Treatment and Cult Favorite Firm + Flexible Hairspray all over the hair. Once both products are distributed evenly throughout the hair, create an off-center part.
- STEP 4: Taking a comb, create a wave in the hair by pushing the hair backwards and forwards in an “S” motion. Clip the crest of each wave to hold the shape, leaving the ends out loose and add texture using the Color Wow Pop & Lock Gloss Treatment.
- STEP 5: Use the Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition with diffuser attachment in low heat and low speed to dry the hair and set the look.
- STEP 6: Finish the look by applying the Color Wow Cult Favorite Firm + Flexible Hairspray for extra hold and add the Color Wow One Minute Transformation Anti-Frizz Styling Cream staring from the middle of the hair to the ends to break up the hair and create a wet-look.
HOW TO (By Jawara for Solange)
- STEP 1: Blow dry hair on high heat and high speed using the Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition with the concentrator attachment. Apply Aveda Light Elements Smoothing Fluid and brush through using the Dyson Paddle Brush to straighten and achieve a smooth finish
- STEP 2: Apply Aveda Phomollient Styling Foam to create weightless body and volume. Cornrow whole head and attach extensions. Spray lightly with water and dry hair using the Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition with the diffuser attachment on medium heat and medium speed
- STEP 3: Attach extensions and flatten using the Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition on high heat, high speed to smooth all the way and blend with her natural hair
- STEP 4: Finish with Aveda Light Elements Smoothing Fluid to smooth edges and Aveda Air Control Light Hold Hair Spray to build lasting hold
HOW TO (By Jawara for Alicia Keys)
- STEP 1: Start with freshly shampooed hair using Aveda Brilliant Shampoo
- STEP 2: Blow dry hair on high heat and high speed using the Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition with the concentrator attachment. Part hair in the center and apply Aveda Light Elements Smoothing Fluid and brush through using the Dyson Paddle Brush to straighten and achieve a smooth finish
- STEP 3: Add braids and twists to hair and fold into a disheveled victory roll, twisting braids into it
- STEP 4: Pull the rest of the hair all of the way up into a high, tight ponytail
- STEP 5: Apply Aveda Brilliant Anti-Humectant Pomade to prevent frizziness and add a satin finish to condition the edges
- STEP 6: Use the Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition with the concentrator attachment.on a high speed, cool setting and comb the hair in the same direction while spraying Aveda Air Control Light Hold Hair Spray to achieve a sleek, tight finish
- STEP 7: Add extensions similar to her hair texture
- STEP 8: Pull hair and extensions into a ponytail and spray with water
- STEP 9: Use the Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition with the diffuser attachment.on a medium speed, high heat from afar to keep hair in place
- STEP 10: Add hair accessories to complete the look
HOW TO (By Vernon Francois for Lupita Nyongo’o)
- Step 1: Moisturize and hydration is key. Using Vernon François MIST~NOURISHING WATER TO DELICATELY WET AND SUPPORT STRONG, HEALTHY GROWTH, infused with a blend of amino acids, delicately wets hair whilst helping to repair and strengthen strands plus protect from colour fade. Apply comfortably all over till hair is damp.
- Step 2: Using my Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition with the diffuser on low temperature with medium heat is the best way to get the hair to absorb in the product this remarkable engineering the air temperature is measured 20 times a second, allowing the temperature stay under control. Which means you can dry your hair without the risk of extreme heat damage. Amen to that.
- Step 3: Using Vernon François BRAID AND LOCS SCALP NOURISH~MENT SPRAY Is a blend of premium oils to nourish the scalp for moisturised and non-greasy relief from dryness and irritation. Spray onto the roots and mid lengths of your braids or locs, for a beautiful and comfortable finish. This will also create protection from any heat Styling tools.
- Step 4: Create a beautiful structure placement is key I used extensions by Knappy hair “kinky blowout texture”. Back combed into a beehive then applied Got2be glued holding spray gently defuse with Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition
HOW TO (By Anh Co Tran for Gwyneth Paltrow)
- Step 1: With damp hair, apply some mouse in the roots and the rest of the hair, flip the head over and start with the Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition ($449.99) Smoothing Nozzle attachment at medium heat and medium speed, lifting the roots with fingers for movement and volume.
- Step 2: Flip the head back & continue the motion until the rest of the hair is 70% dry.
- Then switch to the Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition Concentrator attachment and turn up the high heat, but remain medium speed. Start from the nape, apply the nozzle directly to the hair at a 45° to straighten and smooth. Lift the hair up with the brush for volume and tuck the ends in for a slight bend. Repeat the steps until the whole head is complete.
- Step 3: Then apply some hair spray to lock the look in.
HOW TO (By Owen Gould for Gemma Chan)
“Gemma’s Met Gala look this year was influenced by Cher’s 70’s legendary long hair. I was inspired by Gemma’s Tom Ford gown and it immediately reminded me of some of Cher’s iconic and over the top Bob Mackie gowns from that era. Gemma and I discussed how Cher is the perfect influence and inspiration as well for this year’s Camp theme. The full combination of the gown, striking headpiece, and very long hair make for such an exquisite look.”
- First, I began by prepping Gemma’s hair while it was still damp with a dollop of Dove Style+Care Volume & Fullness Mousse from roots to ends to create a voluminous base with lasting staying power. Then, I misted Dove Style+Care Smooth & Shine Heat Protection Spray all over hair from the mid-shaft to the ends to protect strands from breakage and to provide an additional healthy glow.
- Next, I sectioned the hair into horizontal 1” partings and blew the hair dry using the Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition and a medium sized round brush. The Supersonic allows the hair to dry quickly and efficiently, while also protecting the hair from any heat damage.
- Once the hair was dry, I lightly misted each section with Dove Style+Care Compressed Micro Mist Flexible Hold Hairspray to keep hair in place, and then wrapped each section around a large 2” barrel curling iron to seal the cuticle and add shine.
- Before I began securing the headpiece, I brushed out the hair while generously spraying Dove Style+Care Compressed Micro Mist Flexible Hold Hairspray to ensure every strand was smooth and sleek (just like Cher, obviously!).
- Now it’s time for the show stopping headpiece! My main priority was to ensure she felt comfortable while wearing the headpiece and the key to achieving this was to use tons of flat bobby pins, as well as a hidden piece of elastic underneath to keep the headpiece fastened in place. Once it was secure and I finished adding additional gems throughout, I sprayed her hair again with Dove Style+Care Compressed Micro Mist Flexible Hold Hairspray to finish off the look to make sure it lasts all night long!
HOW TO (By Jen Atkin for Hailey Bieber)
- Prep damp hair with OUAI Wave Spray
- Blow dry hair using the Dyson Airwrap™ styler Complete with Round volumizing brush attachment ($549.99)
- Attach Luxy hair extensions for length
- Spray Rita Hazan Root Concealer in light brown to blend extensions
- Apply Tancho stick to roots
- Use a barbers brush to mold into a ponytail
- Spray OUAI Volumizing Hair Spray on ponytail
- Finish with Alexander Wang bow
HOW TO (By Jen Atkin for Bella Hadid)
- Apply wig from Mane Beauty
- Blow dry with Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition ($449.99) & a small Harry Josh round brush
- Prep dry hair with Balmain Session Strong Hairspray and brush through
- Flat iron hair straight using a GHD Platinum Pro
- Use OUAI Hair Oil all throughout
- Shape hairline with Kristen Ess Shine Pomade + Edge Control
- Use OUAI Hair & Body Shine Mist all over
HOW TO (By Jen Atkin for Camila Coehlo)
- Prep damp hair with OUAI Wave Spray
- Attach clip in extensions from Chaviv Hair
- Dry hair using Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition ($449.99) with diffuser attachment
- Create waves using 3/4” hot tools curling iron
- Spray OUAI Texturizing Hair Spray throughout
- Finish with Farewell Frizz™ Rosehip, Argan & Coconut Oil Blend
HOW TO (By Matthew Collins for Camila Mendes)
- Step1. Start with dry roots and prep hair around the crown and hairline with 6 sprays of texture spray (playa endless summer spray) and 4 drops of hair oil (ritual oil by playa)
- Step 2. Blow dry hair straight back from the hair line using Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition ($449.99) with the styling concentrator attachment and boar bristle brush (YS park) to control the direction of the roots straight back
- Step 3. Using a tail comb, create a diagonal back side part
- Step 4. Then using a wide tooth “bone comb” to draw the hair back and place a large clip (Cruxe brand) behind the ear to hold the hair back on both sides
- Step 5. Use the diffuser nozzle on the Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition at full heat and full speed, before putting on the cold shot to cool and set the roots – this is vital to help her eyes and cheek bones pop and give it still a modern take
- Step 6. Add more wet texture spray (playa endless summer spray) to the dry hair and combed back again leaving wider comb creases. Once the shape is there, lock it in with a wet and strong hold hairspray
- Step 7. When the front shape is in perfect proportions, use the entire tip as the middle part to the three strand grade and pulled the sides into it and do an inverted braid to the nape of the neck
- Step 8. Fasten the pony with long black cord (session kit)
- Step 9. For thickness I add a texturizing powder (playa soft volume powder) to the base of the ponytail and backcomb it
- Step 10. I then take my ribbon and weave it through the braid from the top and around the base. Then secure with a bow to match the one on her dress
- Step 11. Lastly I add a hair oil (playa ritual oil) to my hands and glaze over the entire look for max shine